Using a scope

Corey Stup cstup at pobox.com
Thu Jun 19 15:10:25 GMT 1997

Joe Boucher wrote:
> Can I tell if a scope works properly as long
> as the guy can turn it on?

Yes and no.   By turning on the unit, and verifying that the 'scope has
a trace, you can make sure that the HV portions are functioning (for the
most part).   You can also connect the probe set to the square wave
alignment point and make sure that the basic input sections are
functioning.    The problem is that I've come across many a 'scope that
had a bad input level switch in one or two positions, or a bad timebase
switch only at the highest speed (where its not used very much, and the
wipers are all dirty).  Last time I went shopping for a 'scope at
Dayton, I carried around a battery powered function generator that was
known to be good, and put the scope through its paces.   I've picked up
gems like Tek 465B's and 465M's for $50, and was able to validate their
usefulness.  Older scope parts can be unobtainium or very expensive.