Using a scope

Tom Cloud cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu
Tue Jun 24 17:07:23 GMT 1997

>That's where the isolation transformer comes in or you can break off
>the ground tab on the mains plug so there is no return path. This is
>not recommended by the electrical authorities though.

that's what I do (or put a 2-wire adaptor plug on the end
of the cord) -- just want to caution everyone that that puts
the scope chassis at the same joltage as wherever you hang
the probe ground clip

I *always* get rid of the grounding tab on the soldering iron,
since it can cause serious problems if you're soldering in
live circuits (which I often do) .... and don't get me started
about the hocus-pocus re static.

Tom Cloud <cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu>