Using TPI on a non-GM engine

Brock and Jennifer Fraser fraser at netten.net
Wed Jun 25 01:57:52 GMT 1997

Hey all,

I'm considering using a ECM, sensors, and harness off of an '89 Camaro 350
TPI to control another type of v8. (Infiniti Q45 V8, 32v)  The parts are
available and cheap compared to a stand-alone system.  Not to mention, very
tunable with the right information and know-how.   :)

Everything is basically cookbook (with regards to prom mod's and tuning and
sensor mounting) except the fact that the Q45 engine lacks a distributor.
Is anyone familiar with the electrical inputs and outputs of the
ECM/ignition system as they relate to the coil, ignition module, and rpm
signal from the distributor (on a TPI setup...)?

Obviously, I'm going to try to skin-graft some kind of distrubutor onto the
engine, maybe where the OEM cam position sensor was.

Thank you,

Brock Fraser
Mech. Engr.
Ex-Hypertech (looking fer a job!)