TPI on a 6cyl

Thomas Wright tgw3448 at garnet.acns.fsu.edu
Mon Jun 30 03:42:20 GMT 1997

Hi,
I've been on this list for a few months now, trying to absorb all the
information and ideas that have been floating around.  I have a 76
Jaguar XJ6C with the original engine, which I do NOT plan on trading for
a V8.  The basic engine, drive train, chassis, etc.  on these cars are
great, it's all the auxiliary crap that they put on these things that
causes the problems.  Anyway, I plan on replacing as much of this stuff
as possible, little by little, including the fuel injection system.  The
car originally had carbs, which I have already replaced with the Bosch
L-Jet system from an 81 Jag.  The next step is to replace the L-jet with
something that can keep up with the modifications that I have already
made, and will make to the car.  The L jet system is very restrictive
,and from what I have read, stops increasing the supply of fuel after
4000 RPM.  The modifications to my engine so far are:  a freer flowing
exhaust, gas flowed head, hotter cams and a TH700R4 tranny.
After following this list for a while, I have decided that making my own
fuel injection system from scratch is way over my head, and an
aftermarket system is way over my budget.  Therefore, I would like to
try and adapt the system from another care to mine.
I was thinking about a TPI system with an Mass Air Flow meter.  Although
an MAF may be somewhat restrictive, it's got to be better than the air
flow meter on my L-Jet, and it would eliminate some of the tuning
problems I would have trying to adapt a MAP based system.
I have about a thousand and one questions, but I will limit them to just
a few, since I have rattled on long enough already.
Am I right in assuming that if I match a MAF to the right sized
injectors, then all else aside, It would eliminate most tuning problems
(from an A/F stand point)?
It is my understanding that MAF systems are calibrated to a certain max
HP.  Therefore I would need a system from a 350 V8.  (I estimate my HP
potential right now to be about 225HP, and more in the future.)  But I
have a 6cyl.  I figure the 6cyl ignition signal being sent to an ECM
that thinks it is getting a signal from an 8cyl would throw the
injection timing off.  Is there a way around this?  (I am not looking to
control the ignition timing.)  Is there a common MAF system (i.e. not
Buick GN) for a 6cyl that can handle 200 - 300 HP range?  Late eighties
Chevy IROCs are easy to come by for salvaging parts, therefore I would
prefer to adapt one of these V8 systems.
I have many more specific questions, but I'll just leave it to these
basic ones, first.
Thanks
Tom Wright