Supra MAF ----> MAP or bigger MAF

Brock and Jennifer Fraser fraser at netten.net
Mon Jun 30 06:53:49 GMT 1997

>Does anyone know of a larger mass airflow sensor available for
>93-on Toyotas, namely the Supra?
>	What most Supra owners do is replace the MAF with a device from
>HKS called a VPC (vein pressure converter) when upgrading to a larger
>turbo, etc.,hanging the fuel system to a speed-density system. It's
>basically a MAP sensor with a black box that sends the proper signal to
>the ECU. The box contains several adjustment knobs for fuel pulse,
>gain, and idle mixture. Only problem with this device is the constant
>need to readjust the VPC when there is a large change in air temperature
>and humidity.

At what point does the factory MAF system run out of fuel metering capacity
(Hp level)?  Is the primary goal to upgrade the injectors, or to eliminate
the MAF as an inlet restriction?  I've never heard of a Toyota-specific MAF
upgrade.

>	If there is no available upgraded MAFs, how hard would it be to
>use MAF from a Mustang? A friend of mine has the chance of getting a
>larger aftermarket Mustang MAF that has the proper interface required to
>work with his 95 Eagle Talon TSi, would the work required to do the same
>for a Toyota run a lot more than $1000 (usuall price for a VPC)?

Any idea what the output signal is like on the Toyota sensor?  I'm pretty
sure that Fords use a 0-5V output, although I'm just familiar with the GM
frequency-based sensors.  If the Toyota sensor is a voltage proportional
sensor, then it might be straightforward to use a Ford-esque sensor, with
some tweaks.

Brock