Converting to EFI from Carb - help

Terry Hartman txhartma at spdmail.spd.dsccc.com
Fri Mar 7 14:10:01 GMT 1997

> And what about the distributor.  I have an older distributor that doesn't
> have the twin plug setup.  It has a single plug setup and thus fewer
> electrical connections.  Can this work or do I need to upgrade to the EST
> type?
>
> Thanks, Steve

You don't need the EST distributor (that would be easiest though).
You DO need the EST module and wiring harness along with the correct
computer control distributor module ('87 & later).  The module does not
have to be  mounted in the distributor.

You can convert your existing distributor by removing the centrifugal and
vacuum advance mechanisms, tack weld the rotating advance plate solid
and discard the exisiting HEI amplifier.  Just wire up the late model
module correctly & you're set.  See a '87 or later remote mount
coil application from a Helm manual for a clear explaination on
the module wiring...

(this method can be used to convert any OEM or aftermarket
magnetic impulse triggered distributor to computerized operation)

hope this helps,

T.