injectors and rails

Atkinson, David DATKINSO at COSMPDGATE.CO.SYMBIOS.COM
Sat Mar 8 00:07:42 GMT 1997

Gentlemen:

I've got a single plane intake and an old carb for a throttle body.  Now
I want to drill holes and install 8 injector bosses and injectors/fuel
rail.
(then engine is a 351-C)

Any advice?

I'd like to use O-ring injectors (the hoses on a type 6 injector make me
nervous).  Anybody got a clever idea an to how to fasten down the fuel
rail to the intake?

I've seen one setup that drilled a hole through the manifold and ran a
bolt up through the hole into the bottom of the fuel rail (which had been

threaded to accept the bolt)  This looked nice but you'd have to remove
the manifold just to service the injectors.  Sort of a bad design bbut if

people tell me I'll rarely need to service the injectors then I'll
consider this option.

Thanks in advance
jw

Regarding the injectors, MSD makes a drill bit for drilling a seat for a
standard 0-ring type injector.  It has a stepped end that will cut both
the injector seat and the sealing surface.  Check 'em out on the web -
they sent me a free catalog in about a week.  They also have weld-in or
epoxy-in bosses that you can use.

The fuel rail may be a bit more difficult.  I have a single-plenum,
Victor Jr. type intake on a 454 engine that has been converted to TPI.
 The fuel rails are attached  to bosses welded to the side of the intake,
at right angles to the injectors.  The fuel rail has been drilled in 2
places where the bolts attach the rail to the intake.  The rail I have
has enough area above the fuel cavity to drill a 1/4" hole without
exposing the cavity.  I believe Mr. Gasket/Accel sells this fuel rail -
it's flat on the bottom and hemispherical on the top.

 Good luck!

 Dave