injectors and rails

Curt Martin cmartin at america.com
Sat Mar 8 00:15:40 GMT 1997

> Gentlemen:
>
> I've got a single plane intake and an old carb for a throttle body.  Now
> I want to drill holes and install 8 injector bosses and injectors/fuel rail.
> (then engine is a 351-C)
>
> Any advice?

I would suggest mounting the rails in the same manner GM did with the TPI
intake....  Building up 4 stand-offs above the intake manifold and bolting the
rails on top, so they can be removed as a unit, or in 4's.   Whether the intake
is iron or aluminum, you can weld stock to it (if it's aluminum, make sure the
welder has it bolted to some old cyl heads or steel angle iron to keep the
casting from warping.)

You'll have to fiddle with it, using dummy stand-offs (wood, plastic, whatever)
until you're satisfied of the position & height, then weld metal copies into
place.  I'd keep them as short as possible and use removable spacers (tubes) to
hold the rail above the intake manifold... that way you can adjust the rail
height if it's not quite perfect.

If there are a few spots on the manifold with a good bit of meat in them, then
just machine them flat, drill, and tap holes for the bolts.

> Thanks in advance
> jw

Curt Martin  (cmartin at america.com)
Ormond Beach, FL