Want to build a better mouse trap, using production parts

Stephen J Jacobs sjacobs914 at juno.com
Mon Mar 10 20:14:50 GMT 1997

Hi all,

Background:

I have a 2.4L 911(6-cyl) engine that was originally a CIS fuel injected
motor.  I am wanting to build a better mouse trap so....

Project outline:

Convert the CIS system to a updated closed loop system.  I would like to
use as many off the self pieces I can.  Intake can be the CIS throttle
body and intake runners.  Machine the runners to accept a GM fuel
injector in a TPI application.  I want to use, as many GM components as
possible do to the retaliative easy of acquiring them.  Can I take a
system from say a 2.8 v6 and use the brain and sensors, and Let it adjust
the A/F ratio on its own via the OKS?  This would also allow me to up the
engine to a 2.7L latter if I wished.  I would love to be able to use the
ignition system if it is a direct coil arrangement, and would like to
bring this thing into 90's technology.  I would like use a Cat or two,
and clean up this cars emissions a little, it is clean now, but since my
area is now Dyno testing, I don't want to fail.  BTW, at least my area
there is no visual inspection, just a dyno run, with a pass or fail.  I
have never failed but then there is always a first time.

The main reason I am thinking of this, is I saw a unit built by Claude
Buggies out in California, which uses a GM control unit from a Geo Storm
and a bunch of sensors which look like the units I have sitting around
the garage from a 4.3L install.  Is this a relatively simple install?  Am
I way off base here?  And would I have to reprogram the E-prom in order
to do it?  If the answer is yes, who would I talk to about doing such a
mortification?  Allot of questions, but hopefully an easy one to answer.

TIA,

Stephen Jacobs