Vtec and Toyota 4AGE engine id's

David Piper dapiper at one.net
Tue Mar 11 01:48:19 GMT 1997

>The 4A series motors are all 1.6 liter, 4 cylendar motors.
>The 16v and 20v engines are NOT economy motors. The economy motor is the
>4A-C, a carburreted 8valve motor.  This particular one put out about 75 or
>so HP, while the 16v motors put out substancially more.

>	IMHO, they are quite cabable of holding their own.  Mr2 is a 4A-GE car,
>and the SC variant is both bulletproof and quick.

I just rebuilt a 4A-C for my brother-in-law and the inside looked like
sewing machine.

The rod bearing caps were very small like a cam bearing and the cam bearing
caps were a joke...about 3/8" wide aluminum.  IMHO this motor would not
survive any attempt at increased output.

But maybe the 4V motors have larger components.

TurboDave  dpiper at one.net  West Chester, Ohio
IZCC # 173
'77 280Z Custom Turbo
Less Maintenance, More Performance.