Automotive HID Lighting...

DemonTSi at aol.com DemonTSi at aol.com
Fri Mar 14 14:17:32 GMT 1997

<< You can MAKE an inverter with minimal effort, with about $40 in parts.
  However, inverters generally waste power by making some heat in the
process.
  Also, designing your own might be a little tricky.  For lighting and items
 that are not AC/DC specific, it shouldn't be that big of a chore.

 A ballast is generally used in Flourescent bulbs which have different
 requirements than halogen or incadescent bulbs.

 I would highly recommend searching the web for GE and Sylvania, both
 companies have a large well rounded product line for lighting equipment and
 see if you can find something.  Also, pretty much any 12V lighting product
 theoretically could be used in a vehicle if the housing could be retrofitted
 to DOT specifications.  What comes to mind real quick are 12V worklights.
  They don't have that neat bluish glow however.

Actually...I have one of those commercially available inverters (hmmm..did I
confuse it with a converter?) that should be able to handle running some
light bulbs.
I think the HID lights need a ballast also...and I think one is enough to run
a set of bulbs.
As far as retrofitting the housing, I'm also assuming that that shouldn't be
THAT hard...I hope...
I just want those HID lights!  :)
Notice:

This message was found in a dead-letter box and appears to be for you.
If you have already gotten a copy of this message, we beg your tolerance.

The Unix Systems Group