Alkeehaul and liquid dynamite

Jeffrey S Melcher jmelcher at juno.com
Mon Mar 17 08:02:39 GMT 1997

Lets talk seriously about this double setup.  I really that well informed
on the entire EFI setup just yet.  But why not be able to create a car
that gets descent mileage for gettin' those groceries and at the same
time flip a switch and eat up some highway.  I like the total stealth
look that literally stomps the competition.  My motto is: NO MERCY

There are enough aftermarket components on the market for the V-8 Fords I
don't think finding the parts would be a problem.  Only knowing what to
put together and what to modify to get things to work together will be
the task at hand.

I'll work with you on this one.  First of all, how radical do you want
the change.  Am I to assume that you want to stay naturally aspirated?
If so, what engine block would you be most interested in using?  Being
that I have a 302, thats where I would rather start.  If we don't include
blowers, can we include nitro or different fuels?  Can we use different
fuels with the EFI?  I don't see why not.

Looking towards this project, what products are already available?  Seems
like there is a lower intake manifold from Edlebrock that has dual
injectors openings.  This would allow a dual fuel rail.  Here a decision
must be made.  You could run different fuels in each rail.  You could run
the same fuel with larger injectors on the secondary system.  You could
run a combination of both.  I don't have any good shops in the area for
getting EEC-IV computer problems taken care of such as APE or anybody.
But with the things they claim they can do with the add-on chip, it might
be possibly to run a setup with 19 or 24 pound injectors for the primary
and run larger injectors like 38 or bigger.  I think this would be
relativley easy with the flip switch design of the chip.  Obviously
running more fuel in the cylinder will make the readings of the O2
sensors read rich, hence the computer leans by shortening the pulse width
of the injectors.  This is where the computer would be calibrated
separately.  The electronics are there lets use them.  Another idea would
be instead of switching from one set of injectors to another just add the
second set to the first.  Like a first set of 24lbs. and a second set of
24lbs. both opening together equalling 48lber's.  Don't really know which
would be more tricky to wire given the fact that I'm not sure exactly
what current the EEC-IV will handle and how much an injector pulls.

Next would be the exhaust system.  This should be relatively easy to do.
Build in a set  of cats on one system and a valve to switch over to a
more open setup.  Nothing a good welder with a little time couldn't put
together.

Finally, we've give the engine more fuel to burn and a complete switching
exhaust system to pass inspection.  Now we need more air.  You could use
a medium sized MAF and TB, 70mm and 65mm respectively and add a blower on
a clutch or an electric one for that matter.  All that could be with
nitrous or not.  Then there is the idea of going with two setups like the
fuel and exhaust.  This might get tricky with the stock upper intakes.
With limited room for routing inlet hose.  At this point a decision must
be made.  Do we keep the stock upper?  Do we add another switched system
like a 80mm MAF and just place a large TB on the begin with?  If we
create another upper intake could we build the unit to run two TB's.  and
run each one separately to it's own MAF.  One system being small and the
other outrageously huge or two mediums equalling one large.  So many
decisions.

If I've left something out or if I'm totally along the wrong lines speak
up.  All input is good.  Mayby you had another idea.  I've thought of
doing this before.  Just don't really don't know how to get some of it
completed.  There is too many possibilities here.  Need help nailing down
ones that work.

By the way I left out any internal engine mods on purpose as there are
not on-the-fly switchable.  Everything is possible.

jmelcher at juno.com
Jeff Melcher
'94 Cobra #137