GM EPROM code info

Webb rwebb at polarnet.com
Thu Mar 20 07:35:48 GMT 1997

sag at msys.net wrote:

> Hello,
>         Does anyone know of any software that will allow me to "play" with the
> internal setting on my computer.  TBI is from an '86 S-10, 2.8L V6.
>
>         I replaced my 2.8L in my '84 Jeep with the NEW 3.4L V6.  This OEM was
> Carb'ed. I'm going to replace this with the 220 TBI system from this '86
> vehicle. (I bought everything from a guy whose wife wrecked the frame.)
>
>         What I want to do is:  Adjust the timing on the injectors to increase fuel
> flow just enough to take advantage of the increased displacement of the
> 3.4L.  I've thought about the 'Performance Chips' from ADS, but that seems
> like just a short fix.  Being an electronics/mechanic type, I would
> basically like to try some different settings and see what happens.  So I
> want to change the code, burn a new chip and give it a go.
>
>         I need to also find someone who can burn me an eprom.  I may be able to
> find someone local, but that'll take time.
>
>         Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>         ADS did suggest that I buy some of their 'STRIP Injectors' for the TBI,
> but Summit has them for about $400!  Not practical.  Any ideas on that
> would be helpful, too.
>
> Thanks, Steve

Steve

A simple trick that is supposed to work is to increase the amount of
fuel injected by raising the pressure in the fuel by an amount
proportional to the difference in displacement.

As an example, if your fuel pressure is now 35 psi, and you go from 2.8
to 3.4L, then the new pressure would be (3.4/2.8)*35=~42.5 psi. Not as
good as generating an entirely new map, but it is supposed to get you
close enough for the O2 sensor to correct.