Mounting Orientation of Bosch Fuel Pump

Atkinson, David DATKINSO at COSMPDGATE.CO.SYMBIOS.COM
Thu Mar 20 16:41:11 GMT 1997

Greetings.  I'm pretty sure you're ok as long as the inlet of the pump is
lower than the outlet.  I kinda remember this in the documentation for my
stock GM-type TPI pump.  The pump will work best when placed close the
the tank, and below the fuel level.  These pumps like to push fuel, not
suck it.  Also, if it's placed below the tank fuel level, once it primes
it will be aided by an inherent siphoning action.  Make sure to use a
high-flow filter between the tank and pump as well.

 Dave

 ----------
From:  Ric Rainbolt
Sent:  Wednesday, March 19, 1997 5:50 PM
To:  diy_efi
Subject:  Mounting Orientation of Bosch Fuel Pump

I have a Bosch fuel pump, as used on BMers, etc and I was wondering if
there
are any restrictions on mounting axis.  Normal mounting for the cars I've
seen seems to be with the inlet and outlet of the pump parallel to the
ground.  What I need to do, because my engine bay is so heavily modified,
is
to mount the pump with the inlet down and the outlet up, in other words,
straight up and down.

Will this promote cavitation, air bubbles, drain-back or any other
undesirable side-effects?  Any comments?

Ric Rainbolt