Motorola or Microchip?

Todd King Todd_King at ccm.co.intel.com
Thu Mar 20 16:43:45 GMT 1997

Text item:

Sounds like fun... I'm also planning to EFI my motorcycle (FJ1100).  I'm
currtently torn between the Microchip PIC16C74 and the Motorola 68HC11A8
for processing.  The Microchip seems easy to get (read digikey).  You can
get a functional demo board, programmer, and software for about $170.  I

Are you sure that's a "demo" board? It's really just a burner, right, or
are you referring to the board with a couple of LED's on one of the ports?
I'm afraid ya get what you pay for in this case. Unfortunately Moto had a
quantities crunch the last few years but I've been told by a reliable
source that they are working hard on fixing some of their recent "faults"
that have given Microchip some gains in market share. They seem to
understand that the little guy has been squeezed out a bit and want to fix
that. I have a 6811 EVM that provides programming, monitor program,
headers and all for true demo capability; also checked into the Microchiop
line and was unable to find anything comparable (typically only programmer
boards). However you can whip up your own demo board of course, just with
a breadboard unless you are going to operate it into the GigaHz range :-)
Also you can download the Microchip simulator and assembler stuff from
their site, spend $100 on a programmer and you've saved $70 (well actually
the PICstart Plus is ~ $200) in your case, save for the cost of whipping
up a real demo circuit. BTW the full blown Digi-Key catalog is online
now... Cool!

haven't found a source for the HC11 stuff yet (eval. board etc.), so I
don't know pricing.  The PIC seems like a good deal, though.

I just bought a 6805 EVB (programmer) for $25 from a co-worker. I think
Future (or someone like that) lists the Motorola stuff but be prepared,
the 6811 EVM listed for $7-800 last I checked; EVB is cheaper. Get a
catalog from 'em. Again though, check carefully into the Moto stuff, I
think they are about to revamp some of their strategies and improve the
chip availability. Also contact a local sales office or distributor; they
oughta be able to fix you up with some windowed samples or something,
especially if you mention that Microchip word :-)

Todd_King at ccm.co.intel.com

Text item: External Message Header