fuel line i.d.

Tom Cloud cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu
Fri Mar 21 02:12:37 GMT 1997

>Howdy.  What's a good inside diameter for fuel supply lines?  3/8 or 5/16
>or is there something better yet.  MSD sells a fuel pumb that has 3/8 on
>the inlet side and 5/16 on the outlet side.  It's rated at 45 gal/hour @
>35 psi and 12 volts.  Goes up to about 55 gal/hr with 13.5 volts !!!
>Should be adequate for a 400-450 hp V8.  8)
>What does it take to deliver that kind of voltage to the pump?  Some kind
>of transformer or something?
>
>thanks to all
>jw

James, what they mean, is that the pump will run faster when
the alternator is charging (dohh -- not you, them!).  When
I put in my ProJection, Holley recommended 3/8" and said 5/16"
would work if not able to do 3/8".  Let me warn again about the
tubing Summit sells -- it's too danged thin.  I ended up with
the Mallory stuff.  Actually, I ran most of mine with 3/8"
steel brake line, but it's d****d hard to bend.  Bought a bender
from Eastwood for $50 to bend the stuff.  You don't need to,
though.  Put salt or sugar in the tubing and bend away.  When
you're finished, run hot water through it and it cometh right
out!  On the aluminuminuminum stuff from mallory, I put heater
hose over it where it might rub and used spring benders to bend
it neat and purty, since you're gonna have to bend it in place
when you come up around the steering shaft and there ain't no
way you're gonna get a 'real' bender in there!

Tom Cloud <cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu>