turbo/supercharging

Johnny allnight at everett.net
Sat Mar 22 07:44:54 GMT 1997

> Todd King wrote:
>
> ... BTW there is always pressure (on an
> >   absolute scale) in the intake manifold of every engine. We should toss the
> >   notion of vacuum and just run absolute pressure gauges to ease some of the
> >   confusion :-)

You are too correct here. Being into aircraft, it's always manifold
pressure. One of my favorites, stolen from a high school physics
teacher, is;
There is no such thing as vacuum, only pressure or a lack of it. Just
like there is no such thing as cold, only heat or a lack of it. What's
really amusing are those "vacuum" gauges that have a "positive" side to
them. Then to make it worse, when it goes to that side, it goes to psi
from -inHg. Talk about confusing.

-j-