Bimmers and motronic

Tamas Boday Tamas.Boday at hubu.mhs.ciba.com
Sat Mar 22 16:27:42 GMT 1997

Hi guys...

I'm new here so I think I'll introduce myself a bit first.
I'm Tamas from Hungary and I'm an electronic engineer and I'm involved
in telecommunication and Computer technology. (LANs, Wide Area Networks,
e-mail systems, ISDN etc.)
Oh yes. My hobby is automotive technology.

The fact is one of my friends is have a BMW 316is (I'm into Italian cars
more than this kinda german ones) what he is want to put on the track.
We are not talking about a street racer here but a serious race car. We
made all the necessary modification on the engine, cams, heads,
intercoolers everything but withour the electronics it's not finished.
We asked a guy who made us a modified eprom but it came clear as he
hardly doesn't know anything about engines, less about cars and maybe
even less about electronics. Weird eh? It came clear also as he got some
maps from somwhere and started to mess up with 'em. We payed him big
bucks of money and got almost nothing.

So I decided to learn a lot and finish the job.
What I'd like to ask you to help me to start with and we'll se what will
happen.
I have now. Two complete ECU. One is in the car and one is in my hands.
A factory and a tampered EPROM, some knowledge on engines, ASM and C
programming, lotsa knowledge on computers. a computer and a stong
decision as I'll find out the thruth about this thing.
Oh yes and I'm going to build an Eprom burner soon...
Could you help me?

There are two beasts on the ECU panel which are looks as a processor
(sorry
I'm a guy who growth up on Intels so what I only can do now is to
distinguish a pentium from a 286 :-)
One is a 64 pin Siemens made SMD with
BD 267648
B 58024
A404V13H   on it.

The other one has Harris
TA 13255A
100163
N9352
B57725  printed on it.

Would you please tell me what books I have to buy, what to look for
etc...
Many thanks in advance:
Tamas (Tom) Boday
http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/1450