turbo/supercharging

Aron Travis atravis at spacey.net
Sun Mar 23 02:29:55 GMT 1997

Robert Harris wrote:
> Cams - shorter duration,
> higher lift intakes - better for low end work fine - whatever is pumped
> goes into engine - much less dependent on cross flow and VE than turbo.
> Thus you can run a torquer cam and still make explosive top end power.

Ok, so now the question- What general kind of cam should you use in a
turbo engine?
With Turbo or Supercharging can you get away with a stock cam?

To add to this topic- it seems to me that another limitation to
supercharging is that, being belt driven, you're limited to placing the
supercharger 'in line' with the front of the engine. This can create
the affore mentioned hood clearance problems with top mounted supers, but
many engines/compartments don't have room for the side mounted 'paxton'
style supers either.
Now of course anything can be fabricated, but it seems that
turbos are more easy to tuck away in a limited area.
Which brings up this question- how far down stream in the exhaust system
 would be the maximum limit to plumb in a turbo?

-Aron Travis-
"always in a automotive frenzy"