turbo/supercharging

Chris Howard choward at mail.usyd.edu.au
Sun Mar 23 12:51:16 GMT 1997

<snip>
>You CAN run a turbo on something along the lines of a 9:1 but 10:1 is REALLY
>pushing it! Especially if you're not running with forged pistons-and at the
>least-shot peened rods. Running a turbo on such a high comp engine will
>require an intercooler. If you don't run with one..I wouldn't recommend going
>over 5-6psi of boost. With proper fuel and ignition management...maybe 7-8psi
>tops.

In my experience with turbo engines, I have found that a turbocharged
engine is less stressfull on conrods than a normally aspirated engine
making the same power. A reason perhaps is that there is less cyclic
variation of pressure in a turbocharged engine, because on the inlet stroke
there is boost pressure instead of vacuum.

regards,

Chris Howard
Computer Science
University of New South Wales