turbo/supercharging

DemonTSi at aol.com DemonTSi at aol.com
Sun Mar 23 04:34:23 GMT 1997

<< Ok, so now the question- What general kind of cam should you use in a
 turbo engine?
 With Turbo or Supercharging can you get away with a stock cam?

 To add to this topic- it seems to me that another limitation to
 supercharging is that, being belt driven, you're limited to placing the
 supercharger 'in line' with the front of the engine. This can create
 the affore mentioned hood clearance problems with top mounted supers, but
 many engines/compartments don't have room for the side mounted 'paxton'
 style supers either.
 Now of course anything can be fabricated, but it seems that
 turbos are more easy to tuck away in a limited area.
 Which brings up this question- how far down stream in the exhaust system
  would be the maximum limit to plumb in a turbo? >>

I remember hearing that using a mild n/a cam would work best with a turbo...
As for the supercharger placement...I used to think the same...until I saw
one of the Mooneyes drag rails. That thing had a Roots type blower that was
literally placed in front of the engine. There was some sort of pulley
arrangement that was used to run the blower from the crank.
And as for the turbo...that distance is a commonly debated topic. People tend
to say that it's best to mount it as close to the engine as possible to allow
the turbo to take full advantage of all the exhaust gases...but I've also
seen people who  mount the things far far away...and get equally impressive
results...