Major problem fixed!

Tom Cloud cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu
Mon Mar 24 15:16:43 GMT 1997

>I have not really looked at it, but I would not expect too much. The
>recommened approach is to use the zener instead of a regular diode. I can't
>remember when I stuck the scope on it and watched the input and outputs, but
>I don't remember seeing anything fishy.
>
>Sandy
>
>At 10:57 AM 3/24/97 +1200, you wrote:
>>I finally got my system running reasonably. Problem turned
>>out to be that, when using a LM1949 (or in my case a
>>discrete copy), Using a diode to absorb the inductive kick
>>lengthens the pulse by about 2.5ms!. Not good when idle requires

why would a zener work better ???  if the coil is clamped with
a diode, it could saturate and take a while to come back, but
the zener will clamp it too (after it is a diode also).  The
zener is slower than a switching diode (all diodes turn ON fast,
its t-rr that's slow).  The only advantage I can see from a zener
is that it limits the voltage in BOTH directions, but it's
t-rr is VERY slow ???

Tom Cloud <cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu>