Major problem fixed! -- diode/zener clamps

Fred Miranda fcmtb at ix.netcom.com
Mon Mar 24 19:10:34 GMT 1997

At 12:13 PM 3/24/97 -0600, you wrote:
>My first guess is that a slow, rectifier-type, diode was used.  But,
>a zener is as slow, if not slower.  The diode allows the coil to go
>to a high voltage in one direction and clamps it to about 1 volt
>in the other.  The zener clamps it both directions -- go figure.

Doesn't the zener allow some of the energy of the collapsing mag
field to cause some flyback effect while a clamp diode to the supply
limits the flyback to Vss + .6v or so?

So I would guess, limiting the flyback voltage would result in more
current, maybe enough to keep the solinoid energized longer.

Fred