Major problem fixed!

Chris Morriss crsm at oroboros.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 24 19:53:54 GMT 1997

In message <199703241516.JAA17850 at mail.utexas.edu>, Tom Cloud
<cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu> writes

A straight diode across the winding (like you would use on a relay) is
no good.  Don't forget di/dt = V/L  If you use a plain diode, V will be
about 0.6V and therefore the current in the coil will take a long time
to decay, holding the injector open when you want it closed.  A 39V
Zener diode allows the di/dt to be much higher when the driver
transistor turns off, therefore dissipating the energy stored in the
injector coil quicker.

The actual time taken for the Zener itself to start conducting isn't
relevant.  It will be MUCH faster than the injector on-time.

--
Chris Morriss