Bike EFI

Michael T. Kasimirsky mtk at tmc.astm.cmri.cmu.edu
Tue Mar 25 13:22:14 GMT 1997

On Mon, 24 Mar 1997, Rucastle wrote:

> I'm one of the people that would like to FI a bike engine. I know dick
> about electronics, but personally I would not consider throttle body FI.
> Bikes to my knowlage, with the exception of Harley Davidson, are designed
> around indiviual ports and carbs for each cylinder.  Throttle body on a
> Harley yes.  On the rest, unless you have a hair drier on it, I think you
> would probably lose out if you used throttle body FI.  I don't mess around
> with new bikes but my old BSA 500cc single cyl. makes 1.86 hp  per cubic
> inch at the rear wheel, this is from Superflow dyno runs I have made.
> Check out the HP the new super bikes produce.  I'll bet by the time you
> made a manifold etc. to run a throttle body you would not gain back from
> EFI what you lost to manifolding.

Most bike systems I've seen use an individual throttle body for each
cylinder, which has a injector boss as part of the assembly.  The systems
use port injection and individual throttle bodies for each cylinder, so
the whole EFI system is about the same size and location as the OEM
carbs.  From a performance and packaging standpoint, this is about the
only way to do it.

Michael T. Kasimirsky       ---->              mtk at tmc.astm.cmri.cmu.edu
Days:    Staff Engineer                     or mk4u at andrew.cmu.edu
         ASTM Test Monitoring Center           Phi Gamma Delta,
Nights:  1992 Suzuki GSX-R750 Pilot            NRA Life Member, AMA Member
         1990 Yamaha FZR400 Superbike Racer    DoD #1848
         1991 Suzuki GSF400 Bandit Mechanic    WERA Provisional Novice #753