control algorithm for MAF setup

Dave Williams dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us
Wed Mar 26 03:32:32 GMT 1997

-> >All the documentation I've seen on "family production cars"
-> generally >indicate a 14:1 ration between air/fuel.

> okay, I guess I asked for it .... obviously stoich (14.7:1) is
> "best".  Let me re-phrase the question.  What is the leanest
> that is recommended to run and still avoid detonation ??

 "Best" for cars equipped with a catalytic convertor.  Various
references from the pre-convertor days show something around 16.5:1 as
closer to optimal, but note most OEMs go rich to ensure the vehicle
would not go lean under unusual operating conditions.

 Taylor et.al. indicate SI engines can be run lean to the point of
misfire at cruise, though I'd want to watch EGT while doing so.