TBI and DYI_EFI list

JColl62271 at aol.com JColl62271 at aol.com
Wed Mar 26 19:30:28 GMT 1997

I'd agree that the OEM systems are the way to go with stock engines which
have a later model counterpart with EFI of some sort i.e. early and late
small block chevy or ford.  It's fairly sophisticated and reliable stuff.

My problem is I want to TBI something that never had injection and was
superceded by other engines prior to EFI becoming available.  I think a lot
of us are in the same boat.  There are those of us with 200/250 inline fords,
slant sixes, 250/292 inline chevys, old flatheads, Y-block fords, etc, where
a later model with EFI doesn't exist.  Port injection would be great, but I
think most of us would settle for a good TBI, and as you implied, not for
performance, but for driveability.  I guess that's why TBI is attractive; no
fancy machining on the manifold, no fuel rails, etc.  Just trying to keep it
simple.

If any of you have some insight on how exactly to get some of this OEM stuff
to adapt inexpensively, please share it.  It would seem that the EFI wouldn't
know if it were installed on a ford, chevy, or packard, but what how do I
pick out what I need?  What should I look for in my local junkyard?  Then
finally, after I get all the components, how do I tune it for my application?