TBI and DYI_EFI list

FJB203 at aol.com FJB203 at aol.com
Wed Mar 26 20:39:26 GMT 1997

>  If any of you have some insight on how exactly to get some of this OEM
stuff
>  to adapt inexpensively, please share it.  It would seem that the EFI
wouldn'
>  know if it were installed on a ford, chevy, or packard, but what how do I
>  pick out what I need?  What should I look for in my local junkyard?  Then
>  finally, after I get all the components, how do I tune it for my
application?

Howdy Jack,

Sorry I hacked your message up, though a lot of the things you said is true.
 The key to adapting OEM fuel injection in any sense is to find a
fuel-injection intake manifold that mates with your engine.  There are plenty
of cross-compatibility GM manuals floating around, though I haven't seen them
for Ford, Packard or Chrysler.  Maybe they exist.  In the case of much older
engines, i.e. flatheads, slant sixes, inlines, etc, I can say with reasonable
confidence retrofitting a modern OEM EFI system to those engines is unlikely
and probably more expensive than the advantages gained.

If you (generic you) seek better drivability, reliability in cold, damp
weather, Projection by Holley for example is a fantastic way to go.  It is
fairly sophisticated and certainly reliable.  Keep it simple :).

Your other option, which is probably less work than retrofitting an OEM
system, would be to swap the entire engine.  Creating trans mounts and
shortening a driveshaft is much less work than making something radical work.
 But then, your vehicle loses some value by swapping out the flathead,
nailhead, etc block out.

Your choice of projection is a solid one ;)  Not that I'm an authority or
anything, I'm not :)

<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/fjb203/index.htm">Frederic Breitwieser</A>
Bridgeport, Connecticut
Homebrew Automotive Mailing List