Venturi effect with efi throttle bodies

Tom Cloud cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu
Mon Mar 31 13:50:16 GMT 1997

In a TBI, the petrol is injected in the throttle body, not at the
end of the runners, as in TPI.  Velocity (a.k.a. turbulence) is
needed to properly mix/atomize the fuel/air charge.  Without
some velocity, the gasoline will just "rain" onto the bottom
of the plenum.

I've had the same thought (about partially closed butterfly
valve causing the needed velocity/turbulence).  I don't know
about that.  It must not be as effective as a reasonable
"venturi" throttle body else the manufacturers of TBI's would
make them all real big.  Consider the extreme in which
the throttle bore were made _very_ large with the traditional
butterfly valve throttle.  The air velocity would be extremely
slow, and the gasoline would not be mixed -- in fact, it's
conceivable that part of it could actually vaporize and rise
away from the throttle bore if the air flow were slow enough.

Tom Cloud <cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu>