That gol durned fuel injection

Bruce Bowling bowling at cebaf.gov
Thu May 1 15:44:22 GMT 1997

> At 09:27 AM 5/1/97 -0400, you wrote:
> >Hey All:
> >          Being the  local "carb tuning goober", I felt the need to
> >respond to some of the slander. I still have all of my teeth but
> >I wonder how the amount of teeth determines ability to tune a
> >fuel system. Regarding the statement about "too ignorant to turn
> >on a computer", most of the "2 tooth goobers" I hang out with
> >not only manage to turn it on but we build our own. Mine is a
> >Cyrix 686, 32 meg RAM, three HDs, 8X CDROM, tape backup,
> >etc. etc. that somehow in my vast ignorance I managed to put
> >together and make it all work for under a $1000. Regarding the
> >statement that it takes more knowledge to tune even the most
> >basic FI system, an idiot who has no idea how a carb works can
> >install and dial in an old analog Holley Projection system.
> >      I joined this list to learn more about electronic fuel injection
> >but considering the mindset and childish ignorance I see displayed
> >here, I wonder if the technical data I read is valid.
> >
> >Duane

Anyone who has taken apart a carb knows the sheer complexity they
possess. It really amazes me that carbs work at all, with all of the
complicated passages, mechanical floats, etc.

I think it is much easier to change a value of a lookup table in software
than it is to drill out, for instance, an idle feed restriction in
a carb, in that I can easily change the software back, but it is
much harder to undrill the passage.

I think that everyone will agree that any fuel delivery system
is complicated in its own way. Even the god-like carburetor found
on a small weed whacker (which still boggles my mind that it works
upside down or rightside up).

- Bruce

                 Bruce A. Bowling
                 Staff Scientist
    12000 Jefferson Ave - Newport News, VA 23602
                 (804) 249-7240
bowling at cebaf.gov  http://devserve.cebaf.gov/~bowling