Stepper motor drivers

John S. Gwynne jsg at jsgpc
Thu May 1 17:44:43 GMT 1997

|application.  What sort of driver circuit should I use?  I expected this to
|be a subject covered in the archives, considering that some IAC valves are
|really stepper motors.

try the efi332 archive... there is some H-bridge I.C. information, but that
may be overkill...

<delete>

|Further:  I need to divide an input clock by 15 to get the correct scaling
|for the stepper motor drive rate.  Am I correct in assuming that an 8 cycle
|positive, 7 cycle negative drive duty cycle might eventually degrade the
|performance of the motor?  (Because of the continuous DC bias.)  My input
|clock is not a square wave, so I can't do half cycle logic.

I don't think so; stepper motors magnetically saturate. The worst
problem you could have would be mechanical resonance, but it's sounds
like a small stepper motor and certainly not turning very fast.

<delete>
                                       John S Gwynne
                                          Gwynne.1 at osu.edu
               T h e   O h i o - S t a t e   U n i v e r s i t y
    ElectroScience Laboratory, 1320 Kinnear Road, Columbus, Ohio 43212, USA
                Telephone: (614) 292-7981 * Fax: (614) 292-7297