Air Flow Meter

avos at cochlear.com.au avos at cochlear.com.au
Mon May 5 04:14:15 GMT 1997

     My Subaru turbo 2.0L has a Uni-Filter cone filter. These filters are
     slightly more restrictive than the K&N versions, as they are an oiled
     foam type filter, though apparently they filter better. Mine also has
     much greater surface area than the K&N versions so probably flows
     better anyway. This filter bolts directly to my air-flow meter, and
     immediately the throttle response and max top-end power of my car was
     improved noticable with no other modifications done at this stage.
     Since then it now has a larger exhaust and more boost, and I can only
     imagine that the difference of the filter has been amplified though I
     have yet to change it back to standard to see. One thing I will say
     that is different between the Uni-Filter and K&N is that the UniFilter
     has a machined alloy trumpet which they claim achieves more laminar
     flow by swirling the air into the air-flow meter. This may be a ploy,
     but it may support the theory of turbulent flow upsetting the air-flow
     meter. The K&N filters have no such mechanism of enhancing laminar
     flow that I know of. The trumpet is probably about 3 inches long and
     exponentially (approx) brings the diameter of the filter (~5 inches)
     down to the diameter of the air-flow-meter (~2.5 inches).

     Adrian

     PS- I think the Uni-filter brand is Australian made though I am sure
     there are equivalent versions made elsewhere.