Air Flow Meter

Steve Meade smeade at deltanet.com
Mon May 5 05:16:51 GMT 1997

----------
> From: Kevin Rutledge <krr at teleport.com>
> To: diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject: Re: Air Flow Meter
> Date: Sunday, May 04, 1997 8:44 PM
>
> At 06:25 PM 5/4/97 -0700, you wrote:
> Actually, I tried that before and determined that I did have less power.
> wanted to know why so i did some testing and determined that it was not
the
> filter that was the problem, but where the filter was located.  The bosch
> air mass sensors detect air flow in the center of them, but the way the
K&N
> filter was designed actually made the air flow around the outer edges of
> the air mass sensor.  If you move the filter further away from the
sensor,
> with say some tubing, it fixes the problem.

	Every kit with the exception of one bolts the filter right upto the sensor
with about an inch at tops spacing. The problem is that in many BMW's (and
probably most other cars using the Bosch sensors) there is not a lot of
room for a long length tube. Even the kit with the tube only contains a six
inch or so tube. I was thinking of several alternatives:

	1. An adapter which uses a wide-mouth filter and "funnels" it to the
sensor. Maybe even some spiral grooves inside of the funnel would give
focused air.

	2. A fan-blade type deal between the filter adapter and sensor which would
"spiralize" the air.

Steve Meade
smeade at deltanet.com