Air Flow Meter + car problems

avos at cochlear.com.au avos at cochlear.com.au
Mon May 5 22:39:22 GMT 1997

     From what I can see, my car does not use a Bosch system or air-flow
     meter, though I must admit I have not done alot of research into it,
     as it has always performed adequately (until now - see below). My car
     does however use a single hot wire element type air-flow sensor, which
     I think is the same system used by Bosch, so I imagine that similar
     principles apply.

     Recently my car has been performing badly at low to medium revs as
     boost comes on. It seems to fiddle around with settings when you
     initally put your foot down until it decides what it is going to do (a
     few seconds sometimes) and then it runs great. It is annoying under
     hard acceleration, as it will hesitate and then hit you with an
     almighty boot in the back. I am sure that this is not good for my
     engine, and have lowered my boost level to ensure that I will not
     damage anything. I have replaced the fuel filter, oil and oil-filter,
     spark plugs, and cleaned the air-filter in the hope that it may be
     some blocked filter, or bad spark, but all this with no success. I am
     starting to wonder whether a sensor is working incorrectly on my efi.
     I have several other ideas before I narrow it down to the efi - fuel
     pump (not supplying enough pressure), fuel pressure regulator (Does
     anyone know how to check the fuel pressure is constant under engine
     load on a 4WD car for which I do not have access to a 4WD dyno),
     fluctuating boost (though this is not apparent from my boost guage),
     blocked injectors (though I have run petrol additive injection cleaner
     with no effect on the problem). If all this fails I will no know where
     to start - Does anyone have any ideas on what could cause such a
     problem. The weird thing for me is that it seems to run fine once it
     has started to sought it itself out and reached high revs, which seems
     to me to rule out the chances of it being a fuel delevery problem?

     Any advice will be appreciated, I am starting to my pull my hair out.
     Note that my car has had no modifications done recently, and ran fine
     for a year with the modifications that it has, so I doubt that it has
     anything to do with any modifications that I have done.

     Adrian