Ford Escort - Why does "check engine" light turn on?

Geoff Watts geoff at omen.com.au
Wed May 7 03:40:05 GMT 1997

Check the o2 sensor - they deteriorate after that number of miles.  The ECU
is trying to go into 'closed loop' mode while you're cruising, (to get
stoich fuel/air mix) and it can't get sensible data from the sensor.

the car will still run okay without it, probably use a little more fuel and
idle rougher and a few other things - but probably a good idea to get it
replaced - they're expensive in Australia, but an escort one shouldn't be
that much.

You might want to buy the service manual and try to get some codes out of
the ECU to make sure it *IS* the o2 sensor :)

geoff