700R4

George M. Dailey gmd at tecinfo.com
Thu May 8 23:14:40 GMT 1997

At 01:05 PM 5/8/97 -0400, you wrote:
>George M. Dailey wrote:
>>
>> Hi Pete, please send me a copy of the software and diagram.
>> BTW, I put the 700R4 in the '58 last weekend. A definite improvement, but
>> not quite what I had dreamed about. That is one massive tranny. Much fatter
>> than the HT-350, and just as long. It seems that the TCC locks up
>> immediately after the 4th gear is made. I kinda expected that 5th gear type
>> shift that I've felt on the tbi trucks. 1st - 2nd shift is a muther! Any
>> hints on adjusting the TV cable? I opened the throttle wide open and pulled
>> the TV cable tight (to its stop). It seems that if this is mis- adjusted,
>> the tranny will slip on the shifts.
>>
>> thanks
>> GMD
>
>I put a 700R4 in my car (a Jag) and if the tv cable is too loose, the
>1st-2nd shift is real high and harsh.  At first, I adjusted it the same
>way you did, and it was too loose.  It did not shift correctly until I
>had adjusted it to the point where I couldn't open the throttle more
>than 75%.  Apparently you need a special shift lever on your carb or
>throttle-body.  There is a very narrow range where the trans. will shift
>correctly, but is better to tight than to loose.  Also if you drive
>around with the tv cable misadjusted, you will damage the seperator
>plate in the trans., so be carefull!

Ah oh, looks like trouble! Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like I
wont be able to get wide open throttle if the cable is adjusted properly. Or
will the cable move a little more under the right condition. This engine and
tranny came married together from the factory, so I know they are matched.
It's an '89 GM TPI all original. The previous owner tried it in a '91 TBI
truck. He described it as 'U-joint breaking shifts when pulling a large load
at low speeds'

thanks for the info,
GMD
George M. Dailey