Fuel pump for Ford 3.0L with engine swap

Tony Bryant Tony.Bryant at psc.fp.co.nz
Thu May 8 23:16:34 GMT 1997

> Hi all,
> First, let me say this has been a very informative group - I've been
> reading the archives for a few months now.  Amazing stuff.
>
> Although I've decided not to tackle a complete diy efi project,
> what I've learned here has helped inspire confidence to swap a
> EFI engine into my old sports car (Sunbeam Alpine).
>
> I have ran into a problem with the fuel pump type however.
> The engine is basically from a Taurus, Ranger, or Sable, 3.0L, with
> requirement for 39psi and 16 gallon per hour from the pump.
> I'm looking for a frame-mounted pump with those specs, but
> without luck.
>
> My question is, how close do I need to get to the 39psi and
> 16 gph for the efi to work okay?  A local shop can get a
> NOS pump rated 40psi at 46 gallons per hour - is that going
> to be a problem?

First, to clear up one thing, generally EFI pumps don't control the
fuel pressure in the fuel rail. A pressure regulator is used
for that. Therefore a pump rated for any pressure above your
intended fuel pressure is fine, as long as it supplies enough volume.
(Sorry to reiterate if you already knew that.)

I would suggest a Nissan 280ZX pump. Its a Japanese copy of a bosch
pump, in a nice rubber mounted frame. I know for a fact it is good
to at least 250hp, probably more. Don't know the gph though sorry.
Coincidently 280ZXs have a bolt on 39psi pressure regulator too.

Should be cheap second-hand. Nissan might want alot for a new one
though. Anybody care to volunteer gph and local prices?

$$$ MAKE CAR FAST $$$
bryantt at psc.fp.co.nz