Fuel pump for Ford 3.0L with engine swap

Johnny johnny at johnny-enterprises.com
Fri May 9 01:14:06 GMT 1997

G. Wilson wrote:

> Hi all,
> First, let me say this has been a very informative group - I've been
> reading the archives for a few months now.  Amazing stuff.
>
> Although I've decided not to tackle a complete diy efi project,
> what I've learned here has helped inspire confidence to swap a
> EFI engine into my old sports car (Sunbeam Alpine).
>
> I have ran into a problem with the fuel pump type however.
> The engine is basically from a Taurus, Ranger, or Sable, 3.0L, with
> requirement for 39psi and 16 gallon per hour from the pump.
> I'm looking for a frame-mounted pump with those specs, but
> without luck.
>
> My question is, how close do I need to get to the 39psi and
> 16 gph for the efi to work okay?  A local shop can get a
> NOS pump rated 40psi at 46 gallons per hour - is that going
> to be a problem?

The flow rating doesn't matter as long as the pump you use can meet or
exceed it. As for pressure, yes, this can make a big difference. I would
use a pump that exceeds the 39psi, and then use an adjustable regulator
to take it down to the 39psi you need. Just for an example, you could
use the pump you mentioned and then an Accel adjustable regulator and
use a guage to set it.

Better might be to just use a GM pump/regulator from a 1985 350 TPI, as
these are 39psi... better check that to make sure. I think the Frod 5.0L
uses a 39psi system as well. Junk yard might be a cheap and easy route
on those items.

-j-