Electrical Supercharger

Watson, Bill Bill.Watson at alliedsignal.com
Fri May 9 13:51:39 GMT 1997

------
REPLY FROM: Watson, Bill
Microsoft Mail v3.0 (MAPI 1.0 Transport) IPM.Microsoft Mail.Note
------
Seth Allen wrote;

.....if it take 5 hp to compress the air divided by the efficiency
(60%) that means 6.3 hp, or 4750 watts, or about 400 amperes at 12
volts, or about what it trakes to crank the car.  Maybe with two or
three
batteries and a more efficient centrifugal blower (80%ish)?  I may be
off
onthe hp requirement, but I bet that I am not off by an order of
magnitude.  You would need a lot of fets in parallel to drive that
motor,
or run up the voltage and take a loss there.

Maybe my math is wrong, but there must be a reason whay it hasn't been
done.

Seth
---

Seth, I agree, (except 400 Amps is about TWICE what it takes to crank
the
car) but I think you ARE off by an order of magnitude.  D'Oh!  Its
more like 30-70 HP of compressed air, depending on mass flow rate and
boost.
The power requirement is Huge!

I'll dig up the compressor HP on a Turbo for a Buick Grand National
later
today (35 lb/min at 15 psi), but I think it was in the vicinity of 50
HP.

Bill