Electrical Supercharger / Turbo Anti-lag

Jens Stobernack jstobern at acs.ucalgary.ca
Fri May 9 14:47:02 GMT 1997

Geoff Watts wrote:

> How about an electronic anti-lag?
>
> Compressor, get about 15psi happening, and a little tank, big
> solenoid, release it into the exhaust manifold.  Would that work?
>
> How does the anti-lag work on the Mitsubishi EVO4's?
>
> geoff

I've seen two types of Anti-Lag methods.

The first is to inject a small amount of gas into the exhaust gas before
the turbo. The gas ignites and keeps the turbo wound up. If you've ever
watched the Canadian Rally Championship you will see a Ford Cosworth
with this setup. When the car passes you, you will hear chirping, like a
bird, this is the ignition of the gas in the exhaust.

The second was used in the American supercar the "Vector", I think. The
manufacturer mounted an electric motor on the turbo and kept the turbo
spinning below a certain motor rpm. I'm not sure if they still use the
setup and I cann't remember the current requirements.

Hope this helps you out,
Jens