electric superchargers

Todd King Todd_King at ccm.co.intel.com
Fri May 9 16:05:43 GMT 1997

  <<<
       I noticed a while back (over a year ago) there was a discussion about
  electrically powered superchargers. I was wondering if anyone actually
  followed through on plans and tried it. To me, there are several advantages
  to electrical power over the traditional crankshaft power:
       1. Cost (electric motors are less than blowers and don't strain engine as
  much)

  So how much is a 20-40 hp DC electric motor these days? They are fairly large
  and heavy aren't they? Where ya going to mount it? :-)

  <<<
  anyway. Perhaps the problem of lag in turbos may be solved by
  producing a turbo that has an electrical propulsion when not enough

  The lag "problem" is way overblown; if you have a well matched system
  (including the torque converter for automatics) it's a non-issue. Just ask the
  list member who has the twin turbo 5.0L... Personally I have a Carr 9"
  converter; GN's so equipped spool up and come on like they had a n.a. 500" big
  block under the hood...

  Todd_King at ccm.co.intel.com