Fuel pump for Ford 3.0L with engine swap

Gale A. Wilson gawilson at VNET.IBM.COM
Fri May 9 21:32:36 GMT 1997

Thanks to everyone for the responses, I'll likely be cruising
junkyards for z-pumps now.

Fred asked:

>Just curious as to why the fuel pump that came with the donor vehicle is
>not suitable for you?  True, it goes in the tank, and maybe that's your
>limitation, however its a good setup.  Maybe its adaptable, as the top of
>the pump has the normal gasline fitting, and the bottom probably could be
>retrofitted.

I have a pump from a Taurus, but it's very short overall and my
Sunbeam gas tank is very tall.  So if I put the pump in the top
(where the sending unit is) then I'll have to extend the intake
quite a ways to keep it in the liquid.  I was worried about two
things:  The pump would be dry a lot, and thus not cooling well;
and the pump would have to pick up fuel an extra 12 inches or so
(which I understand these pumps don't do well).  Maybe these
concerns aren't valid...?

The other problem is the diameter of the mounting plate for the
Ford pump - it simply won't go into my existing hole (for the
Sunbeam sending unit).  I thought about carving the pump up and trying
to make it fit, but it'd be a pain when the pump needed replaced
down the road (probably beside the road in 10-buck-2).  Because of
a welded seam down the middle of the tank, I can't make the hole
in the tank any larger to accept standard Taurus pump.  The Taurus
pump mounts in about a 5 inch diameter hole but my sending unit
mounts in a 3" hole (eyeballing, not measuring here).

I would really have prefered to use an in-tank pump.

Regards,
gale