Electrical Supercharger

Steve Meade smeade at deltanet.com
Fri May 9 22:41:38 GMT 1997

----------
> From: Robert Harris <bob at bobthecomputerguy.com>
> To: diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject: Re: Electrical Supercharger
> Date: Thursday, May 08, 1997 11:40 PM
>
> Electric Superchargers - been there done that - check the speed
> mags from the 50's.  Worked ok for small engines, all were centrifugal,
> not much boost, and took massive amounts of power.  None survived
> into the 60's.  Motors took humongus power and I2R loss's were
> ridiculous.

	I tend to think that small high-rpm motor design has come a long way since
the 50's. I think some of today's motors might just make it worthwhile on
medium sized (~2.5liter) engines for low-end torque enhancement.

> Food for thought.  Use light weight moderate voltage (48VDC) aircraft
> jet engine starter motor driving a centrifugal supercharger. 4 deep cycle
> batteries in series.  Then use an exhaust turbo to drive a jet engine
> alternator.  Might just work, but then I have been known to snuff chili
> powder and blow my brains out.

	Wouldn't a regular supercharger be cheaper / simpler? (or have I missed
the entire point? :)

> If the first ingredient ain't Habanero, then the rest don't matter.
> Robert Harris <bob at bobthecomputerguy.com>

Steve Meade
smeade at deltanet.com