Slight boost pressure at all times

Shane Moseley smoseley at ix.netcom.com
Fri May 9 22:45:35 GMT 1997

Tom Cloud wrote:

> snip .....
>
> To digress slightly -- a 1000 cfm Rotron cooling fan,
> what benefits could one expect from putting something
> like that in the intake flow ???  It draws little juice
> and would insure a _slight_ positive pressure flow
> under all conditions -- and esp at low vehicle speeds.
>
> Just a thought I've been playing with.  Seems it
> might make some slight but noticeable improvement
> on the normally aspirated engine ???
>
> Tom Cloud <cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu>

This sounds similiar to a device that Smokey Yunich (sp?) used in an
article about how he got 40% increase in hp & 40-50mpg from ANY engine
(thats right - a retro-fit) just by using a similiar trick in the intake
stream.  It was a three-stage intake setup used to prepare (by heating &
homogenizing) the mixture for a more optimal combustion.  The carb was
relocated over by the fender and the air/fuel mixture was first heated
using the coolant then by exhaust gas and finally mixed(??) using a
turbo-like device that he called a homogenizer.  It was like a turbo
(being exhaust gas driven) but didn't produce much pressure.  Instead,
he said that it acted as a 'one-way check valve' of sorts.  The engine
seemed to be aspirating itself due to a/f mixture expanding against the
engine on one side and the 'check valve' on the other while in the final
stage.

This is just the kind of effect that you mention - slight boost at all
times.  Care to elaborate on the 1000cfm fan thing?  How much juice does
it requre?

--
Shane Moseley   Home: http://www.netcom.com/~smoseley
Systems Analyst Work: http://www.healthsphere.com