Fuel pump for Ford 3.0L with engine swap

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at mcione.com
Fri May 9 22:52:28 GMT 1997

> and the pump would have to pick up fuel an extra 12 inches or so
> (which I understand these pumps don't do well).  Maybe these
> concerns aren't valid...?

No, they are valid to some extent.  Lifting liquid UP takes more energy
than moving it ACROSS.  However, I do have a solution for you, however that
depends on your gas tank, and your level of welding skills.  This is the
solution I will be using for my mid-engine sports car, since the original
tank was wide and flat, and the tank I'm going to weld together, is going
to be wide as before, but higher.

I'm going to mount the pump inside the tank at the bottom, following the
same pump-to-floor height dimensions as before, however the pump will have
significantly more fuel on top of it.  Instead of running the lines out the
top of the tank, they are going out the front/side panel, once I figure out
what kind of wall tubing mounting I can use and keep it liquid-tight.  The
idea behind this is the pump doesn't have to pump "up", and the fuel line
will go out the front of the tank and not interfere with the fiberglass
nose panel, since the front of the vehicle where the tank is is quite low.
 The tank I'm going to make is going to hold 25 gallons instead of the
original tank's 18 gallons.

Honestly, and external fuel pump as suggested by a lot of folks here (Z
car, etc) will be an easier to install solution, however I agree, internal
fuel pump is a cleaner installation.

Fred