Bad Cylinder... Need advice!!!

Thor Johnson johnsont at falcon.cs.mercer.edu
Sat May 10 05:35:39 GMT 1997

Well, We were testing the FSAE car yesterday, and the car suddenly began
to run rough.  Originally we thought it was because of lack of ECT
compensation ("I'll get around to it..."), but it wouldnt run better
today, so we did a diagnostic (limited) battery, and here are the results:

  I have been running the engine a *little* lean. 0.9v Oxy sensor is a
tad lean for M85/Meth (no deposits of any kind, but no glaze or white
electrodes).  We are currently running in batch mode (will switch to
sequential Monday), figuring pulse time based on MAP+deltaThrottle.

  Cylinder #1 does not ignite (Oxy sensor, exhaust tube cold)
   Has spark (checked externally, holding it to side of engine
    Spark is shared with Cyl #4, operating OK.
   Has fuel (will come out wet if you run the engine for a while)

  All other cylinders operate OK (.9V after 1/2 minute of running, @3 a
   little leaner than most).

  No oil in exhaust (I think.   We get a white plume @ high R's, but I
think that's the meth talking.

Any tests we can run to help narrow the problem?  Any way to fix them
(easiest is best...Want all four working by Monday).  I think it could be
due to the following, but have no idea how to check/fix:

  1. Sticky valve
  2. Scratched cylinder (we just put an air filter on today!)
  3. Blown gasket (though I don't see oil in exhaust...)

Any others?  How can I check/fix them?

Extreme thanks!

                Thor Johnson
          johnsont at falcon.cs.mercer.edu