Electrical Supercharger

John Bertram bertram at teleport.com
Sat May 10 04:54:47 GMT 1997

>     In the interest of efficiency though, the turbo is still the way to go
>     since kinetic/thermal energy in the exhaust is essentially free
>     anyway. Perhaps the problem of lag in turbos may be solved by
>     producing a turbo that has an electrical propulsion when not enough
>     exhaust gases are being produced.

The new Saab 2.3l turbo engines have a very small compact frame Mitsubishi
turbo that spools up almost as fast as you push your foot down on the gas.
It is very impressive.  It makes my Volvo turbo seems like it has a LOT of
turbo lag.  If my turbo ever dies, I'll replace it with one of these
smaller units.

John Bertram, Technician
Garry Small Saab
Volvo Turbo APC project (www.teleport.com/~bertram)