Bad Cylinder... Need advice!!!

Mark Fabiny mfabiny at flash.net
Sat May 10 06:31:44 GMT 1997

Thor Johnson wrote:

> Well, We were testing the FSAE car yesterday, and the car suddenly began to run rough....
> Any tests we can run to help narrow the problem?  Any way to fix them
> (easiest is best...
 <snip>

Thor,

It sounds like your spartk is OK, but you say that you have fuel to
cylinder 1 because it will come out wet after you run the engine a
while.  But is it the right amount of fuel?  Could it be a bad injector
or a bad injector driver circuit?

An easy test (we all like easy) would be to swap cylinder 1 injector and
injector harness with another cylinder to see if the problem moves to a
different cylinder.  Since you are in batch mode, you don't even need to
worry about variations due to injector timing.  Put in a new injector,
and put a scope on the driver circuit to verify its operation.  It's
worth a try before concluding that it is a serious internal problem.
Also, don't overlook harness problems - loose terminals, shorts, etc.

Good luck,

Mark Fabiny