My mine and so on...

Trevor Boicey tboicey at brit.ca
Sun May 11 02:31:49 GMT 1997

Michael D. Porter wrote:
> There's probably a ton of suitable systems for small displacement
> engines out there, and the large questions are ones of cost and
> convenience and how much one wishes to put into the tuning details.

  I suppose convenience is high on my list, at least for
this time. I am not afraid of the work, but this is my
first attempt so I want something I can readily complete.

> Individual port injection alleviates some of those
> problems, but increases the costs.

  Agreed. It also increases the amount of "destructive"
work you have to do. No big deal to remove the intake
manifold, mount a spare, and go from there, but I am
leaning towards simply unclipping the carb for the
first few tries. I am predicting even running the first
tests from a large jerry can to prove at least basic
operation before working on the car itself. Driving
season is short as it is, without large hunks of
downtime for experimentation.

> Some confusion here, perhaps. (I think I remember reading text of the
> article you mention on another list a while back, and there are some
> significant errors in it.) The O2 sensor is typically installed _with_
> catalytic converters, so it's not an either/or situation.

  I beleive the reasoning given in the article was that he
wanted the system to run at a non-optimal tune, a little
rich, in keeping with the original factory recommendation
by MG for tuning with a catalytic car. The deletion of the
O2 sensor allowed this "mis-tune", avoiding the computer
compensating for the richness.

> I don't remember where the EGR
> tap is on the Midget, but 12-15" from the port would be a rough optimum
> distance for the average O2 sensor.

  Right on the money actually. The exhaust manifold is a
three branch system, the branches meet at the top
of the exhaust. This is where the EGR valve tap
presently is, and would make a perfect location if
it was feasible.

> You will likely get lots of feedback on this... although not many people
> here may have read the same article you have. Most of the people here
> have or are working on American iron, but their knowledge is
> considerable and useful.

  Perfect. I'll stay tuned. I'll try to avoid discussing how
this affects TR wheel cylinder diameters. ;>

--
 /       Trevor Boicey         1992 Celica GT    1975 MG Midget     /