Cheap Horsepower-Ram air

Aron Travis atravis at spacey.net
Wed May 14 04:03:23 GMT 1997

I have been following the various threads on free/cheap horsepower.
This has got me thinking about ram air induction and cold air induction.
Now looking at cars like my wifes Audi, where the radiator only takes
up about half of the grill opening, one could build a 'funnel' to cover
the rest of the grill for a ram air set up. Seems like this would
provide some free power, but mainly at higher car speeds.
Now if you were to dyno an engine with this set up (like to set up a
fuel map), could a dyno facility provide a pressurized air source to
mimic ram air?
Also, an advantage of ram air is that it's cold/denser air, there for
provides some power too. Now to take that idea further, how about
cooling the intake air and fuel? I'm not talking just intercooler here,
but rather a chemical cooling process. You could have a 'cool can' type
of set up for the fuel, and maybe picture a long aluminimum tube with
fins on the inside and say some liquid coolant flowing around it leading
to the intake track? How efficient could you cool the air? Maybe some
water evaporating cooling system like those old auto air conditioners?
Or a radical liquid nitrogen cooled intake air charge?
-Aron Travis-
"always in a automotive frenzy"